For the environment, fiber optic systems are the optimal solution as they contain many sustainable features since they use less energy and less of the earth’s resources. Benefits include:
- Improved system performance, zero radiation emission and immunity to electrical noise.
- Environmental protection, reduced size, weight and overall system economy
- Greatly increased bandwidth and capacity to enable homes and businesses alike to have access to worldwide communications, such as, video on demand and video conferencing – reducing the potential carbon footprint of attending meetings by obviating the need to travel
- Resistance to radiation and corrosion as well as temperature variations
- Enhanced ruggedness and flexibility, so less restrictive in harsh environments
- Future potential benefits such as energy conservation, security data services, on-line metering and refined real time control of power systems for optimum performance
- Better reception due to no electromagnetic interference so that cross talk between telecommunication lines is eliminated